4 ways to find new and unexpected travel destinations

Wednesday 26 April 2017

Sometimes I know exactly where I want to travel to. And sometimes, I'm just in a mood for a getaway without having a specific destination in mind.

So here are my favourite ways to find inspiration for new places to visit!



Instagram, Travel Blogs & Youtube


To me, social media is a great way to follow other people's adventures. Probably more than half of my Instagram feed consists of travel accounts, and seeing the beautiful pictures they're posting always makes me want to go and see the world. So taking inspiration from this is always a good idea. I actually decided to go to Iceland purely because I saw photos of it's amazing landscapes!



Lastminute.com


If you're looking for a vacation that includes transportation, a hotel and probably even food, lastminute.com is definitely a good idea. I don't think that you could plan a road trip using this website since you can't freely choose the duration of your stay, however it is great if you want to stay in one place for a week or two. Plus, you usually get pretty good hotels for a much cheaper price.
I had the impression that you see the best deals if you book only two or three weeks in advance, but I'm not quite sure if that's always true.
I booked a trip to Malta last summer on this website and they really planned everything out for us. We even had people pick us up from the airport and drive us to our hotel!



Google flights "Explore destinations"


This one is probably my absolute favourite way of deciding where to go, and it's also the one I have used the most. The feature "Explore destinations" in Google flights allows you to enter the airport you want to leave from as well as the dates of your trip, and then shows you a map of all the possible destinations with the price written underneath. You can also filter by price or the number of layovers if you want. Pretty great, isn't it? I love this because you can directly compare multiple destinations and see all the possibilities you have!



Travelling off season


My favourite tip for anyone who loves travelling and wants to go on several trips a year (I know I do) is going places off season. It's a great way to save a lot of money and avoid walking around amongst huge groups of tourists. You can read about my off season experience in Rome here.
The winter is a great time for city trips, especially in warmer countries (you might want to avoid sub-zero temperatures). It does get dark pretty early, but that's okay because there's still a lot to do at night.

However, there sometimes is a reason for a certain "tourist season": attractions or roads might be closed during a specific time of year, the weather might be too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer, and if you're travelling to northern countries, there might only be a few hours of sunshine during the day. So it's always a good idea to check these things before booking and see if you'll still be able to do everything you planned!



Let me know how you choose where you want to travel next!

3 comments

  1. I agree that traveling off-season could be really fun. Not only would it be less expensive, it would also be less crowded. My sister is looking for a new vacation destination, so she'll have to travel offseason. https://askabouttravel.net/

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagram Posts

© random green elephant. Design by FCD.