10 ways to make the best of a long distance flight

Sunday 23 April 2017


1. Wearing warm, comfy clothes


Wearing clothes that will keep you warm and comfortable during the flight is kind of obvious, but it’s important, too – after all, you don’t want to be cold or feel restricted the entire time! Plus, the blankets they provide really don’t help with keeping you warm.



2. Bringing a neck pillow


I love having a soft neck pillow for flying, especially if I plan on sleeping on the plane. It is way more comfortable than the pillows they give you, and it doubles as a scarf to protect your neck from air conditining drafts.



10 ways to survive a long distance flight


3. Making a playlist


Having a playlist with calm songs can help you relax or sleep, and since earbuds cancel out outside noise, it prevents you from waking up every time someone next to you says something.



4. Choosing an aisle seat


I love being able to get up whenever I want without having to disturb anyone, so I always try to get an aisle seat. It might be slightly less comfortable than a window seat, but at least you won’t get trapped when the person next to you falls asleep.


10 ways to survive a long distance flight


5. Making a to do list


A great way to pass the time and get things done is to work on the plane. Because really, what better time to be productive than during a long-distance flight where you can’t do anything else anyway, except watching movies?



6. Knowing that all your essentials are in your carry-on


I heard so many stories of people losing their bags, especially on a layover, and arriving at their destination without anything. I feel like you can put most of your essentials and clothes in your carry-on anyway, so I always do that and only put less essential or easy to replace things in my big suitcase. This way I know that it doesn’t matter as much if my luggage gets lost or arrives a couple of days later.


10 ways to survive a long distance flight


7. Downloading movies or series from Netflix

I can spend hours watching a Netflix show when I’m at home – only to realize at the end of the day that I haven’t really done anything else (this especially happens on Sundays – there are several series that Matt and I finished in only one day). Well, on the plane you don’t really get to do much, so why not download a show from Netflix?



8. Editing pictures and creating a photo album of your trip


This one only really works for the return trip, but I think that the flight back is the perfect time to work on all the photos (or videos) you’ve taken on your trip. Matt and I always create photo albums for all our travels, but it usually takes us months to complete them. Once you’re back at home, there’s just so much to do and then you have to go back to work as well. So why not do everything on the plane?


10 ways to survive a long distance flight


9. Bringing your own snacks


If you eat pretty much everything, that might not be necessary, but I am usually picky with food and the snacks served on planes often fall into the category of “I’m not eating that”. So having something you like with you will prevent you from starving for 10 hours.



10. Seeing the flight as “me-time”


How often do you really have the occasion to do nothing at all the whole entire day? Me, not so much. I’m at work all day during the week, and on weekends I want to go out, see friends and family and catch up on laundry and things like that. So basically, a long journey is the perfect time to do nothing, relax, read, listen to music, watch movies… when you look at it like that, it’s much less annoying!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagram Posts

© random green elephant. Design by FCD.